This is my Mom's Mexican casserole, it's my brother's most requested dish.
Make and share this Wilma's Mexican Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Brown meat with onions, drain fat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the cheese and tortillas.
- Grease a large casserole dish.
- Now alternate torn tortillas, the meat and soup mixture then the cheese. You can do this twice. I like to end with the cheese or save some of the cheese for the top.
- Top with remaining cheese. Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes.
Very good recipe overall. However we did find the corn tortilla shells to be a bit overpowering in the dish. Next time I will try using the flour ones even though they will be a bit soft I think it will work. We still enjoyed it but for our taste preference we do not care for the flavor of the corn shells.
Wow! 5 stars from the whole family! Wilma was onto something, here! Loved the taste, ease and consistancy. So easy to prepare on a work night and serve leftovers the next night. I did add a little crushed red pepper after cooking for heat. This would be nice with sliced black olives and scallions on top to garnish. Just wonderful! Thanks, Luvin' Texas!
I didn't have any enchilada sauce or taco sauce, but thanks to your website I made homemade sauces to go with this great casserole. The flavor is great, and I think next time I'll throw in some refried beans, jalapenos, olives, and corn to give it a kick. Love this! Thank you!