1 hr 20 mins
This is a nice recipe for a meal that is not your usual red sauce enchiladas. What I really like is that it is low cost meal that tastes great. That said, it is time consuming so a weeknight meal it is not unless you have a lot of time. You can make it more convenient and less cost effective by buying a rotisserie chicken, chopped onion, jarred garlic and shredded cheddar. Or you can do it all yourself. It is up to you. This is from the All You magazine under "Make it Special" from Jan. 23, 2009. They say cost per serving is $2.35. My family really enjoyed this twist on a favorite. Enjoy! ChefDLH
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno chili (seeded and minced)
- 4 cups cooked chicken (shredded and skinless)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (coarsely shredded)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa verde
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced mild green chilies (drained)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 16 corn tortillas (size 5 1/2 inch)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Mist a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook two minutes longer, stirring often.
- 5Remove from heat and let cool.
- 6In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, chicken, 1 cup cheese.
- 71/2 cup salsa and mild green chilies. Stir until well combined.
- 8Pour broth into skillet and heat until almost simmering. Working one at a time, dip corn tortilla into broth taking care to work quickly so tortilla doesn't become too soft, then transfer to a clean workspace. Spoon about 2 Tbsp of chicken mixture down center of the tortilla. Roll tortilla around filling like a cigar and transfer, seam side down, to prepared dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Pour remaining salsa over top of enchiladas, spreading to coat. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- 9Bake enchiladas, uncovered, until cheese is melted and enchiladas are hot througout, about 20 minutes. Just before servings, sprinkle with cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Weekend Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas in Green Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.5
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 82.1 mg
- Sodium 889.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 29.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: