This salad is so refreshingly easy to make and goes great with any Mexican or Carribean dish. When my husband said he was making Carne Asada on the grill .... I got busy and made this salad to compliment the flavors. The lime based dressing is very tasty and the added chips and avocado are the main attraction. ;)
- 8 cups shredded iceberg lettuce, and
- romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 red onions or 1⁄2 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup broken tortilla chips
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place the lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and cucumber in a large salad bowl.
- Mix dressing: In a bottle, place olive oil, lime juice, salsa and cilantro. Shake vigorously until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss salad with the dressing. At the last minute, toss in the tortilla chips.
- Add Avocado as garnish if desired.
So yummy and healthy too! I heard on a cooking show EVO is best for dressing but only had olive oil (which is supposedly better for cooking) but it didn't matter it was still great. Thanks for posting Chef V! I took it to a Halloween block party & everyone loved it. BTW I really enjoyed reading your profile! I look forward to trying many more of your recipes.
What a fantastic salad. This is a great and healthier alternative to a Taco Salad! I used all romaine lettuce here and that gave it even more green! Loved all the fresh veggies in here! The dressing is fantastic and fresh! Typically a taco salad here would be lots of ground meat and cheese and smoothered in French dressing. FAT CITY! This is so much better! Fresher! Just as quick and easy yet TASTIER! DH does not like salads and is so very picky about any veggie so I halved this recipe and it was ALL MINE! This makes a very nice amount of salad which I knew even making half I would not be able to eat all of it. That would be me eating 3 servings all by myself. So I completed step one and bagged half of it in a zip top bag, laid it flat and placed a dry paper towel on top of the salad. Zipped it up and put it in the fridge paper towel side down. Now I have a lunch ready for tomorrow! I followed the rest of the recipe and poured half the dressing on the salad I was eating now. Refrigerated the rest for tomorrow. As I said, this makes a generous portion and I was completely satisfied and stuffed actually! This made a great, healthy supper that kept the kitchen AND ME, cool! I think this would be great with some black beans added if you wanted to add some more protein or stretch the salad a little further. Thanks for a great salad V! This one ROCKS! *Made for Beverage Tag*