Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My DD made these with a friend who had the recipe, and really loved them. They used a jarred vegan sauce, but this one looks pretty simple. If you aren't a strict vegan you could add some cheese on top.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained and mashed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups picante sauce
- 3 cups steamed spinach
- 12 tortillas
- vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all the sauce ingredients, except for the cornstarch, in a small pot and cook over low heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch and cook until the sauce thickens.
- While sauce is cooking, prepare the filling: Mix the tofu, onion, chili powder, cumin, garlic, pepper, and picante sauce.
- Put some of the spinach in the middle of each tortilla, then add 3 to 4 heaping teaspoons of the tofu mixture, and roll up the tortillas.
- Lay the enchiladas in a baking dish, top with vegan sour cream, cover with sauce, and bake for 20-25 minutes.