Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was in college, I would frequent a tiny joint across the street from my apartment in Pittsburgh called Mad Mex. EVERYTHING was good there! One of my favorite menu items was this enormous burrito stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, rice, and beans. I've tried to re-create it "MY WAY" over the years, and even my son LOVES this flavorful burrito.
- 3 medium sized portabello mushrooms, gently cleaned and sliced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, minced
- 2⁄3 cup long grain rice, plain
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tortillas, fresh and warm
- 1⁄2 cup diced scallion
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup Mexican crema
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from a can of Chipotle Peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- To start the rice, put chicken stock in a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Add rice and tomatoes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the black beans and cumin. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. You may want to hit it with just a bit more salt and pepper to your liking.
- Warm Olive Oil in a skillet at medium high heat. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, spinach and mushrooms. Lower heat to medium. Cook until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are cooked through. Do not burn the garlic!
- Mix together the crema, adobo sauce, and honey in a bowl. Season to your liking with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the burrito, scoop the spinach-mushroom mixture and rice-bean mixture into a tortilla. Add a sprinkle of cheese, some bacon pieces, chopped scallions, and a drizzle of the crema sauce. Roll your burrito and enjoy!