1/2 Photos of Turkey Tamale Casserole
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
An easy, delicious version of a tamale that tastes like the real thing! I cheated a little bit with the taco mix, but it was in the cupboard and I figured it couldn't hurt, and it turned out great.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the tamale dough
- 2 cups masa harina flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, minced
- 2 tomatillos, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper
- monterey jack cheese, grated, for garnish
- cilantro, torn, for garnish
- 1Crumble turkey into a large skillet over medium high heat and cook until almost all the pink is gone, about 4-5 minutes.
- 2Add green bell pepper, onion, green chili, tomatillos and cilantro and cook until softened
- 3Add taco seasoning mix, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- 4Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, shutting off burner after 10 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 6Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl beat vegetable shortening on low speed until fluffy.
- 7In a separate mixing bowl whisk masa harina flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- 8Add chicken broth and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- 9Beat flour mixture into vegetable shortening until the dough is combined. It may still have a few lumps, but that's normal.
- 10In a round casserole dish spread half of the masa harina dough in the bottom.
- 11Layer turkey filling mixture on top of that and sprinkle with monterey jack cheese.
- 12Top with remainder of masa harina dough.
- 13Place casserole dish in 9 x 13 baking dish and fill with water 1/2 way up the casserole dish.
- 14Cover with foil and bake for 55 minutes.
- 15Remove foil and turn oven temperature up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 10 minutes until top of crust just starts to turn golden brown.
- 16Remove from oven and garnish with monterey jack cheese and torn cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Tamale Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 802.7
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 108.0 mg
- Sodium 1264.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 49.2 g