Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 6 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A refreshing cold drink made of rice, almonds, cinnamon (canella), lime zest and sugar. This drink is rumored to be a cure for a hangover and is frequently served at breakfast time. Even though the drink has a milky appearance it is completely dairy-free. From GourmetSleuth, posted for ZWT II '06
- The traditional way to make horchata is with a metate y mano(a tradiotonal type of mortar and pestle). For those of us less adventurous, or simple those with less time, we can use a blender.
- Pulverize the rice using a metate y mano or your blender. Grind the mixture as smooth as possible.
- Combine the rice with the almonds, cinnamon and lime zest. Let this mixture stand overnight or 6 hours minimum.
- Place the mixture in the blender jar and blend for at least 3 - 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and no long has a gritty texture.
- Add 2 cups of water and blend again for just a few seconds.
- Place a large sieve over a mixing bowl.
- Line the sieve with 3 layers of damp cheesecloth.
- Pour in the rice mixture, a little at a time and keep stirring to help the mixture go through the sieve.
- Once all the liquid has passed through to the bowl gather the cloth together at the top, give it a twist and squeeze out any additional liquid.
- Now add 2 more cups of water and stir in as much sugar as you'd like, to taste.
- If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water.
- Cover and refrigerate. The drink should keep several days, refrigerated.
- Serve in a tall glass over ice.
When I went to make this I found my Cinnamon Sticks had gone missing ???? so rather than a 30 mile one way trip to the market I used 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, other than that substitution this was made exactly per your recipe. Ohhhh my goodness the only complaint I have is that one recipe simply is NOT enough! Here I am all by myself, and the single recipe didn't even make it through the day! I so love this and am looking forward now to Cinco de Mayo when I will make several batches to be served with our traditional meal of Chacha's Greasy Taco Recipe and refried beans. Thank You so much for sharing this wonderfully delicious recipe, I am honestly bowing down to you. Made for Bargain Basement Event.
This is how I remember being made when I was little!!!!