1/1 Photo of Tortilla Soup (Sopa De Tortilla)
Midwest Maven's Note:
A classic Mexican soup, and sooo yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch strips (stale are fine)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 dried chilies, preferably pasilla, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, roasted (or blanched and peeled or just canned tomatoes)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cubed mexican cheese, such as queso fresco, blanco, ranchero or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1Heat the oil in a saucepan over med/high heat for a couple minutes.
- 2Begin frying the tortilla strips in batches until golden brown and crisp, turning after a minute or two, about 2-4 minutes in total.
- 3Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- 4Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil and turn the heat to meduim.
- 5Add the garlic and onion, and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the chiles, tomatoes and half the tortilla strips and cook another 5 minutes.
- 7Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, them simmer for 20 minutes.
- 8Let the soup cool slightly, and then using an immersion blender, or an upright blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
- 9Return mixture to the stove over medium heat, stir in the chicken and heat through.
- 10Season with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- 11Garnish with the cilantro, cheese, avocado, and the remaining tortilla strips, enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla Soup (Sopa De Tortilla)
Serving Size: 1 (685 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 750.1
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 942.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 29.4 g