Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
An easy and delicious version of the classic "Mexican lasagna." For an extra flourish, alternate spinach tortillas with plain flour or multigrain ones. If you don't like spicy hot food, substitute a can of chopped green chilis for the sliced jalapeños. I like to use a hot chipotle salsa, but a mild one is fine. For a lighter version, use lowfat cheeses.
- 7 tortillas
- 1 cup cooked black beans (or red, pinto, etc.)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (or Mexican mix)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small saucepan, combine beans, salsa, rice, and salt and heat through.
- In another saucepan, thaw the frozen vegetables.
- Add the goat cheese, cream cheese, and jalapeños to the vegetables and heat through.
- Spray a Dutch oven or deep baking dish with oil spray.
- Place one tortilla flat in bottom of baking dish, cover with 1/3 of the bean mixture, and top with 1/4 of the grated cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top and cover with 1/3 of the spinach mixture.
- Repeat, alternating fillings, until you have six layers. Top with the seventh tortilla.
- Pour sauce over all and top with the remaining grated cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and broil until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from oven; for best results, let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
I used brown rice, mexi corn instead of plain corn, cut out the goat cheese, forgot the cream cheese, added onion, green onion, pepper jack cheese. I didn't have a dutch over or anything to cover the casserole dish, but it still turned out well. I think next time I'll add ground beef w/ taco seasoning for some extra protein, since I have lapband and need more protein. I will make this dish again.
This was a tough one to rate. I thought it was ok but my DH took about 3 bites and put the rest back. He couldn't stand the goat cheese. If I make it again I'll substitute an 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese for the cream cheese/goat cheese mixture. I'll also probably cut the recipe in half as this made a LOT for just the two of us. I subbed a can of green chilis for the jalapeños and used brown rice.
everyone loved it! we added in some taco meat with the beans though :)