When I lived in Dallas, we often had potluck Tex-Mex dinners, altho not real potluck in the true sense as the menu was almost always the same. There was an appy (queso or 7-layer dip w/tortillas), guacamole was a must & dessert was a flan or sopaipilla. I always made the main course - Mexican Spaghetti w/a “med heat level”, which was begun at the stove that afternoon & assembled in my crock pot to stay warm & serve easily that evening. The “heat level” is controlled by the picante sauce you use, but can be raised or lowered by adding spices to suit your taste preferences or using mild picante sauce. This is easily halved for a family meal. Enjoy!
- 12 ounces spaghetti (3/4 of a 1 lb pkg)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion (roughly diced)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Pace Picante Sauce (Thick & Chunky, heat level of choice)
- 1 cup mexicorn (drained, more as desired)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (drained & see prep note below)
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canssliced black olives (drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Saute ground beef & onions together till meat no longer shows any pink color & the onions are translucent. Drain of any rendered fat & transfer to crock pot.
- Break uncooked spaghetti by hand in approx 3 in segments, prepare per pkg directions, add to crock pot & stir (You’re done at the stove!).
- Add Pace Picante Sauce & drained Mexican corn.
- Add drained tomatoes & set aside the liquid for possible later use. (Note: If using whole tomatoes, halve or quarter them w/a kitchen knife to release & drain their liquid).
- Add sliced black olives. Fold in shredded Monterrey Jack & cheddar cheese & stir gently to mix well.
- The spaghetti is ready to be served when the cheese has melted, but can be kept warm on Low in the crock pot for up to 3 hours If you do that, stir the spaghetti gently once ea hr & ck for a continued & acceptable level of moisture. If it appears to need moisture, use the reserved liquid from the tomatoes as needed.
- When time to serve dinner, set out the crock pot for your family or guests to help themselves & put a dish of sour cream close by (garnish w/fresh chives).
- NOTE: Want a great quesadilla?! Use the same ingredients in appropriate quantity (minus the pasta) & strain the liquid off the picante sauce. Too yummy!