Cook2 hrs 5 mins
This has been adapted from a Southern Living "Your Best Recipe" first runner up winner. The combination of the spicy roast and potatoes is simply divine. Feel free to make either recipe individually.
- 1360.77 g beef boneless sirlion roast, cut into 2 - 3 inch pieces
- 7.39 ml salt, divided
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml oregano leaves
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml chipotle chili pepper
- 236.59 ml water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 473.18 ml beef broth
ROASTED CORN-CHIPOTLE-CILANTRO MASHED POTATOES
- 1 garlic, bulb
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 3 ear fresh corn
- 907.18 g red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 - 2 inch cubes
- 177.44 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml milk or 118.29 ml half-and-half
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml adobo sauce, from can
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml chopped cilantro
- Sprinkle roast evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon blackpepper. Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in Dutch oven over high heat.
- Stir together flour, next 4 ingredients and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk in 1 cup warm water until smooth. Add minced garlic and chopped jalapeno.
- Add 2 cups beef broth to Dutch oven. Stir in flour mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover tightly, reduce heat to low and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring every 20 minutes to prevent sticking.
- CORN-GARLIC-CHIPOTLE-CILANTRO MASHED POTATOES:.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Cut off pointed end of garlic; place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Fold foil to seal. Brush corn with 1 tablespoon oil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake garlic for 1 hour. After 15 minutes, place corn in oven and bake with garlic, 45 more minutes or until corn is golden brown. Squeeze pulp from garlic from garlic cloves and set aside. Let corn cool completely.
- Hold upright on a cutting board and carefully cut downward, cutting kernels from cob. Repeat with each corn cob. Discard cob; set corn aside.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover in a large saucepan until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
- Whisk together reserved roasted garlic pulp, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup butter and next 5 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is thoroughly heated.
- Mash potatoes slightly, add warm garlic mixture to pan and continue to mash just until blended. Mixture should be coarsely mashed. Stir in chopped cilantro and reserved corn.
- Serve by arranging potatoes on plate and topping with roast and gravy.