1 hr 35 mins
Taylor in Belgium's Note:
Mexican flavored main dish made with chicken instead of beef per request from recipe card collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons salad oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn mixed with chopped peppers, undrained
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1Wash chicken and pat dry.
- 2In hot oil saute onion and garlic till tender.
- 3Add chicken, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth and 1 tsp salt.
- 4Bring to boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat and simmer with cover for 30 minutes or until tender.
- 5Remove from heat, let stand until chicken is cool enought to remove meat from bones, keeping meat in large pieces.
- 6Add chili powder and oregano to tomato liquid.
- 7Boil, uncovered until reduced to about 3 cups.
- 8Stir in chicken, corn and olives, set aside.
- 9In saucepan, combine cornmeal with 4 cups water and 1 tsp salt.
- 10Bring to boil, stirring constantly until thick, then let stand for about 5 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 375.
- 12Line bottom of 3-qt baking dish with about half of the cornmeal mush.
- 13Spoon chicken mixture over cornmeal.
- 14Spoon remainder of cornmeal around edges.
- 15Sprinkle with cheese.
- 16Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until bubbly in center.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 930.5
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 208.7 mg
- Sodium 1168.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 59.3 g