Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Mexican flavored main dish made with chicken instead of beef per request from recipe card collection.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons salad oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn mixed with chopped peppers, undrained
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In hot oil saute onion and garlic till tender.
- Add chicken, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat and simmer with cover for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat, let stand until chicken is cool enought to remove meat from bones, keeping meat in large pieces.
- Add chili powder and oregano to tomato liquid.
- Boil, uncovered until reduced to about 3 cups.
- Stir in chicken, corn and olives, set aside.
- In saucepan, combine cornmeal with 4 cups water and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly until thick, then let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line bottom of 3-qt baking dish with about half of the cornmeal mush.
- Spoon chicken mixture over cornmeal.
- Spoon remainder of cornmeal around edges.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until bubbly in center.
I had never made a tamale pie before and really liked it. Made it for a small group and they all liked it. I cooked it longer than 30 minutes, closer to 50. Thought I wouldn't like the olives but couldn't taste. I added frozen corn and cut up green pepper and 1 jalepeno. Very good with the chicken.
This was just like a great tamale pie I had when I was younger! Thumbs up all around the table - from the meat eaters, anyway. Thank you for sharing this!