1/2 Photos of Tamale Bake With Pinto Bean, Green Chilies, Corn & Cheese
Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is a recipe that can use any cooked beans. I do not use tomatoes but tomato sauce and I use fresh corn off the cob mixed with butter and evaporated milk. You can use canned whole kernel corn, drained and do the same with it. I have refined this over the years. This version is what I use. You can add 1/2 pound of cooked ground meat if desired. I serve meatless with fresh tomatoes and fresh orange slices. I like this because it tastes like a filled tamale without the work of filling, binding and steaming all of the filled husks. Note: I increased milk to 1/3 to 1/2 cup based on reviewer comments. You could double the batter base and topping and cook about 10 minutes longer.
My Private Note
large t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies or 1 medium green chilies or 1 (4 ounce) can hot green chili peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
Batter Base and Topping
Additions to Filling
- 1In medium saucepan,add the first four ingredients, saute onions, garlic.
- 2Then add flour and mix well. Add pinto beans and tomato sauce. Heat until hot and simmering. Do not burn.
- 3Preheat oven 350°F.
- 4Spray Pam in a glass 9X13 pan or glass 8 X12 pan.
- 5Mix batter base and topping.
- 6Pour 3/4's of batter in the bottom of pan.
- 7Batter should be runny.
- 8Add 1 cup shredded cheese over the batter.
- 9Add contents of saucepan by spoonful.
- 10Sprinkler the chili powder.
- 11Add whole kernel corn by spoonful.
- 12Drizzle the balance of cornmeal batter across lengthwise in thin lines.
- 13Sprinkle 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese on the top.
- 14Bake 35 minutes. Batter will rise up on the sides of the pan and encase the filling. The top should just start to brown and when pushed spring back.
- 15To serve this with the serving in tact, cool for at least 15 minutes.
- 16Note: For one can of whole kernel corn, drained, add 1 tbsp margarine or butter and 1 tbsp evaporated milk if desired. Or, 2 frozen cobs of corn, microwaved, cut the corn off the cop, add the butter and milk.
- 17This dish keeps well in the freezer.
- 18You can add cumin, cilantro or any ground cooked meat if desired but I serve as a vegetarian dish. You may also add sliced olives.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamale Bake With Pinto Bean, Green Chilies, Corn & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.5
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.0 mg
- Sodium 1007.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 16.9 g