1 hr 20 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
This is Jack Gilmore of Z'Tejas (Austin, Tx) favorite dressing, Every Thanksgiving he prepares it for his family and staff. It's packed with vegetables, including corn in five forms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell peppers (stemmed and seeded)
- 2 cups chopped poblano peppers (stemmed and seeded)
- 3 large jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 6 cups crumbled cornbread (one recipe for 9-inch-by-13-inch pan)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled corn chips (tostadas)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups canned cream-style corn
- 1 dozen pork tamale, unwrapped, chopped in 1-inch chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, bell peppers, all chiles, sage and oregano.
- 3Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- 4Transfer to a bowl with corn bread.
- 5Mix in cilantro, corn chips, corn kernels, cream-style corn and heated chicken stock.
- 6Add tamales at the end and do not break up.
- 7Salt and pepper to taste.
- 8If stuffing is too dry, add a little melted butter.
- 9Place dressing in a buttered 9-inch-by-13-inchbaking pan.
- 10Cover with foil and bake dressing in a preheated 325-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- 11Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes, until brown.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamale and Jalapeño Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.1
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 205.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: