Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the way I prepare tacos when cooking for my meat eating DH and my vegetarian DD. Sometimes this is served with taco shells and sometimes with flour tortillas.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (omit if serving vegetarians only)
- 1 (30 g) package taco seasoning mix, plus 1 cup water (omit if serving vegetarians only.)
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans (vegetarian)
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups head lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium red onion, cut into slivers (optional)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream (optional)
- 15 -20 taco shells, warmed
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While beef mixture is simmering, combine 1/4 cup of salsa into the refried beans (may skip this step if you prefer).
- Heat beans in small saucepan.
- Arrange beef, beans and remaining ingredients in serving dishes and platters.
- Allow diners to assemble tacos as desired.
Yum, delicious! I used crispy tacos, refried beans, and put out lettuce, Salsa Cruda / Pico De Gallo, light sour cream and a Mexican cheese blend. It was fun to pass the toppings around and do build-your-own too. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
The beef is really yummy with the taco seasoning (I made it with Taco Seasoning) I omitted the refried beans. In mine I used green lettuce, diced red bell pepper, shredded cheese and sour cream. I used a tortilla. My boyfriend added salsa to his. Thanks Dreamer :) Made for Newest Zaar tag
You could also add TVP instead of the meat. 1 cup dry to one cup 3/4 water. Wait 10 minutes then continue with rest of recipe as is.