Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
My family loves this recipe (even my 4 and 2 year old!). I created this recipe when I started Weight Watchers. Hubby likes all ground beef and I like all Boca Meat (meat substitute). If you use Boca Meat 2 shells is only 3 Points. I love to freezer cook as well so make 2, one for now and one for later
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and prepare according to directions Add cream cheese; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. Cook pasta according to directions.
- Drain and toss with butter (a couple of teaspoons to keep the shells from sticking). Fill each shell with about 3 tablespoons of meat mixture.
- Place 12 shells in a greased 9" square pan; cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To prepare unfrozen shells: spoon salsa into a greased 9" square pan.
- Top with shells and taco sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and chips; bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and onions.
- To prepare frozen shells: Thaw for 24 hours and cook as above.
This got mixed reviews at my house. I made this about a month ago. My son and I tasted them when we first made without any salsa, sauce, cheese or chips and we enjoyed them. I froze the shells. I thawed them and put them in a pan and topped with taco sauce. I didn't use the salsa. I followed the rest of the recipe. I liked them but hubby and my son thought they were just OK. I think next time I wouldn't add the taco sauce and see if they like them like that as I still have 12 in the freezer.
A favorite! I make a batch and freeze 1/2 for another day. My kids are always asking for this meal.
the mince mix in this is excellent! I used pasta sauce, as I was making this for littlies, and it worked just fine. The topping adds a nice crunch to the meal, and the adults used the onion and sour cream, as well as hot pepper jelly. a real winner here!