Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is my own creation. It works great with the pre-packaged taco kits. If you like the crust a little softer, add more taco sauce and bake for a few more minutes.
- 12 corn crunchy taco shells
- 1 jar taco sauce (not salsa)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Brown the ground beef with the onion and drain.
- Add the taco seasoning and the water.
- Simmer until water is cooked away.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 13x9 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crunch taco shells into pan.
- This will be the crust.
- Spread beef and onion over taco shells evenly.
- Add tomatoes evenly over beef.
- Add about 1/2 of the jar of taco sauce.
- Spread over tomatoes.
- Cover with cheese.
- Bake for approx.
- 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Yummy- this was really good. My family loved this. I had a half a bag of Tostitos so I used those. I crushed them up instead of taco shells. I also didn't add the onion as I didn't notice it until I was finished cooking. I used Homemade Taco Seasoning Packet Replacement for the taco seasoning. My family really enjoyed this. We thought the can of diced tomatoes was a bit much, I would just use a bit less next time. We will be making more often.
This is casserole is a real family pleaser. I have made something very similar to this for many years. It's a frugal recipe that combines all of the broken cruncy tacos and the last tortilla chips from the bag with on-hand pantry and fridge ingredients to make a great meal! It is nicely seasoned as is but my husband likes me to use Ro Tel diced tomatoes and chilis in place of the plain diced tomatoes for extra zip. We like it served on a bed of shredded lettuce and garnished with sour cream. Delicioso! I have put it together in the morning, refrigerated it and baked it after work at 350F for 30-40 minutes for a make-ahead meal. Thanks Shannon.