1 hr 30 mins
Super Sara's Note:
This isn't your average restaurant served tortilla soup; it has a very thick consistancy. I don't know where my mother got this recipe, but I DO know that I requested it every weekend when I came home from college. The toppings really make the most of this soup and having a hand blender is a *must* in my opinion, but I guess a blender or food processor could be used in batches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 14 ounces of corn tostadas
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light Karo syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo
- 2Sautee onions and garlic in oil in a large pot until tender. More can be used than recipe states, depending on taste preference.
- 3Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, chipotle chille, sugar and caro syrup. A larger chipotle chille will create quite the kick in this soup, you can add a few drops of the adobo sauce as well to provide some extra spice. Simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes.
- 4Roughly crush up half the bag of tostada shells and mix them in with the soup. Let that sit for about 10-15 minutes so that the shells absorb the soup.
- 5Use a hand blender to mix the soup and get it to a nice, smooth consistancy. You may want to blend it two to three times over a fifteen-twenty minute period. You can also add more broth if you want to thin it out more.
- 6Add soup into pasta bowls and top with desired yummies.
- 8Really simple, you can use leftovers, but I like to boil mine.
- 9Bring water in pot to boil and add olive oil, 2 TB kosher salt and large handful of cilantro.
- 10Boil chicken breasts for about 30 minutes.
- 11Remove from water and let cool, then chop into medium cubes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.5
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 50.0 mg
- Sodium 838.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo