1/4 Photos of Super Tasty Lite Mexican Chicken Casserole
This is one of my most requested "chicken stuff" recipes. I found it in the Cooking Light magazine (around 1998). Most of my friends don't even know that it is a ligher version of a rich calorie laden recipe because it is so tasty. I usually serve with a mixed green salad and my version of Mexican rice. This is great left over cold or hot!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans canned diced green chiles, divided
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup tub-style light cream cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Bring broth and 1 can of chiles to a boil in a large skillet. Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until chicken is done turning once. Remove chicken to a plate and reserving cooking liquid for later. Allow chicken to cool and shred meat.
- 3Saute 1 can of chiles and onion in heated olive oil for 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved liquid, enchilada sauce, milk, cream cheese, Monterey Jack and stir well. Stir in shredded chicken, cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4Coat a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray and place 4 tortillas in the bottom. Spread 2 cups of chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice ending up with the chicken mixture on top. Top with crushed tortillas and cheddar cheese.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until throughly heated. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Tasty Lite Mexican Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.1
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 599.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
reduced-fat cheddar cheese