Cook1 hr 10 mins
From Family Fun magazine, May 2009. This was fun to make and a lot easier than it looks...give it a go!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef or 3⁄4 lb turkey or 3⁄4 lb chicken
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 4 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Increase heat to medium, add ground beef or poultry, chili powder, and cumin. cook the mixture until meat is crumbled and cooked through, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, water, black beans, and corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer/boil, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Using the rim of a 9 inch spring form pan as a template, trim 3 of the tortillas to the size of the pan.
- Butter the bottom and sides of the pan. Press the UNTRIMMED tortilla evenly into the pan’s bottom. Spread 2 tablespoons of the sour cream over the tortilla, followed by ¼ cup of salsa. Spoon and spread a quarter of the meat mixture over the salsa, and follow with a quarter of grated cheese.
- Place one trimmed tortilla on top of the cheese layer. Repeat layering until all ingredients and tortillas are used up. Finish the top with cheese.
- Bake the pie until heated through, about 30 minutes. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the rim from the spring form pan.
- Slice into wedges and serve with “taco” stuff!