These are a sight to see. I originally made them after finding the recipe last year for Halloween and have since changed the recipe around to make them more eater-friendly. The smiles you will receive are priceless! Try to find the widest taco shells possible if you are not making your own. We call them “Johnny 5 Tacos” as they resemble the robot from the movie Short Circuit more than they seem spooky. Kids also love to help prepared these!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 12 taco shells
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tomato, small cubes
- 1 small head lettuce, sliced into small confetti squares
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) canlarge black olives, sliced
- 1 cup cheese, Shredded & Long (cheddar is good, but a Mexican blend would be good too)
- MIX meat and seasoning mix. Shape half of the mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls; place in 15x10x1-inch baking pan and bake at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Brown the remaining seasoned ground beef and add salsa.
- Fill each taco shell with a thin layer of ground beef, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes.
- Position 2 meatballs inside the taco shell and add a dollop of sour cream to each. Garnish with olives to make “eyeballs.” Spread the cheese out along to the top for stringy hair.
Very easy to make and they look so cool....
Made these for my friend's birthday party - she is 19 yrs old! We all loved them - we had to make children's party food for a joke!! Great fun and recipe - thanks for posting.
Terrific recipe, and not just for Halloween! These were easy and so fun to make. My six year old had a blast, and then she got a kick out of "tricking" Daddy into thinking he was eating eyeballs! DD does not like Sour Cream, so for hers I "glued" the olives onto the meatball with a little melted cheese. A simple recipe that makes tacos a fun eating experience. Thanks Cheryl!