1/1 Photo of Spicy Tortilla Soup
daisy M's Note:
This recipe is from 'Mexico- One plate at a time' by Rick Bayless. It is very different from the usual tortilla soups. The soup is quite thin but so flavorful & spicy. I added cumin although the actual recipe does not call for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 corn tortillas
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 medium white onions or 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 dried pasilla peppers or 1 ancho chili (can add more based on spice preference)
- 4 -6 plum tomatoes or 2 medium round tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 sprig epazote
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Cut tortillas into 1/4 inch strips.
- 2Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and crisp.
- 3Add oil to a saucepan and heat.
- 4When hot, add the dried chiles and quickly fry for 30 sec until they crisp up.
- 5Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 6Add garlic and onion to the oil.
- 7Reduce heat and cook them until golden.
- 8Add them along with chiles to a food processor.
- 9Add tomatoes to the food processor.
- 10Blend all into a smooth puree.
- 11Set a saucepan over medium heat.
- 12Add puree and keep stirring until the puree thickens to a dark red paste (takes almost 10 minutes).
- 13Now add the broth, cumin and epazote to the paste.
- 14Mix well.
- 15Bring to a boil and then cover partially and simmer over a low flame for 30 minutes.
- 16Season with salt.
- 17Divide cheeses and avocado among soup bowls.
- 18Add a ladle of soup and top with some tortilla chips and cilantro.
- 19Serve lime slices alongside.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.4
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 44.6 mg
- Sodium 1436.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 22.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: