1/1 Photo of Spicy-Sweet Beef Empanadas (Mexico)
Who doesn't love a warm empanada?!?! These savory turnovers make great appetizers because you can prep them ahead of time and freeze for up to a month....and they still taste fantastic!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces puff pastry, ready made
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 lb fresh ground beef
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry wine (dry or sweet)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 -3 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F In a skillet over medium heat, brown the meat and onion. Pour off excess fat, then add garlic and sherry. Boil down until the liquid is almost completely evaporated.
- 2Add cinnamon, cloves, cumin and salt/pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar and cook over medium heat until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick sauce. Stir in the cilantro and almonds and set aside.
- 3Roll out puff pastry into a thin layer on a lightly floured counter. Cut the pastries into 8 six inch circles. Place a tablespoon or two of the filling in the middle of one circle. Brush the edge of the pastry with beaten egg, then fold in half and press the edges together to seal.
- 4Press the tines of a fork along the sealed edges of the pastry to make the seal more secure. Prick the top of the empanada with the fork, then place on a baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Repeat with the remaining pastry circles and filling.
- 5Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until light golden brown on the outside and hot in the center. Serve immediately with your choice of garnishes! Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy-Sweet Beef Empanadas (Mexico)
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.7
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 62.1 mg
- Sodium 149.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 15.0 g