Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A spicy leeeeetle salad to serve with a great Mexican meal. Posted for ZWT3. Adapted from a food blog.
- 1 (10 ounce) package couscous
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup purple onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook the couscous per package directions.
- Add the cumin, black beans, and chopped vegetables and herbs.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over couscous.
- Toss lightly until well distributed.
Delicious! We loved this colorful, fresh tasting salad. The fresh vegetables really complimented the couscous very well. I cooked the couscous in chicken broth instead of water for added flavor. Also, I added the cumin to the dressing ingredients for better distribution througout the salad. I added some extra garlic, a pinch of sugar, and salt & pepper to taste to the dressing. I'm looking forward to making this salad during the summer when I can use fresh peppers, tomatoes, chiles and corn from the garden. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! *Made for 8th Annual Photo Swap*
This was very good! Since I wanted more of a dinner than a salad, I sauteed the vegetables in a skillet with cooking spray. I used canned corn and canned tomato and omitted the cilantro. Next time I may add juice from two limes, because I liked the subtle zing. I'm looking forward to reheated leftovers tomorrow!
Really nice blend of flavors. I loved the contrast of the soft couscous and the crunchy veggies. Thanks for a winner Caroline Cooks! :)