1/1 Photo of Spicy Mexican Bean Burger
Shannon Holmes's Note:
This is an inexpensive vegetarian burger and my husband loves them. He ate one and he said they are filling, delicious and he said he wants more made when these are gone and he even said that they are better than store bought. They don't fall apart like most veggie burgers and all the ingredients are available at any grocery store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans (these are always vegan)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/8 cup picante sauce (spicy or mild to your taste) or 1/8 cup salsa (spicy or mild to your taste)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 dash chili powder
- 1 dash cumin
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- hot sauce, a few drops per burger (optional)
- 1Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, carrots, corn and chopped green pepper.
- 3In the meantime, place beans in a large bowl.
- 4Sauté until vegetables are bright in color.
- 5Add vegetables to beans, blend with hand mixer.
- 6Add remaining ingredients, adding more flour to create a firmer mixture, or more salsa if mixture is too stiff.
- 7Form into balls and smash into patties.
- 8Place on pieces of waxed paper and stack in Tupperware.
- 9Place about 5 sliced olives in middle of patty, smash to seal them inside.
- 10To heat, spray each burger with cooking spray.
- 11Heat over medium heat and cook until browned on one side.
- 12Flip and drop a few drops of hot sauce on burger if desired.
- 13I serve these with salsa, chopped onions and a cheese slice on a toasted burger bun (toast the face in the same skillet used for the burger).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Mexican Bean Burger
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.6
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 189.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g