This is a stew that my husband learned from his mom who lives in Veracruz Mexico. It is delicious with crusty bread for fresh tortillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb medium shrimp (31-40 count)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed with the back of a knife)
- 1 small white onion (chopped)
- 2 jalapenos (sliced in 1/8's lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 chipotle chiles (canned in adobo sauce)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the canned chipotles)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 chayote (sliced in half then lengthwise in 1/4 inch thick slices)
- 2 ears corn (cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (minced)
- 1Wash shrimp and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large stock pot on medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic. Saute stirring occasionaly for 3 minutes. Add in jalapenos and saute for 5 minutes. Add in tomatoes. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes start to get mushy.
- 3Next, add in the tomato puree. Cook slightly covered for 10 minutes.
- 4Pour in the water, chayote and corn. Stir the soup and cover slightly. Continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
- 5Lastly, add in shrimp and cilantro. Cook completely covered for 10 minutes on medium low.
- 6Serve the soup with some nice crusty french bread, fresh tortillas or saltine crackers.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Stew
Serving Size: 1 (614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.0
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 1361.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: