Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger (minced or grated)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tuna fillets (1-inch thick)
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, peeled and sliced very thin (or grated)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red jalapeno chiles or 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, sliced into fine ribbons 1/4 inch thick (6 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaf
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed Thai basil or 1⁄4 cup regular basil leaves
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, ginger and brown sugar (makes 1 1/2 cups).
- Stir well.
- Pour half the mixture into a shallow dish large enough to fit the fish.
- Add the fish and marinate at room temperature 30 minutes or in the refrigerator 45 minutes.
- If refrigerating, remove the fish from the refrigerator 15 minutes before grilling.
- Meanwhile, cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds.
- Cut the cucumbers into 1/4-inch-thick slices crosswise (makes about 2 cups).
- Add the cucumbers, carrot, chile pepper, scallion and sesame seeds to the remaining marinade, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the fish to paper towels and discard the marinade in the dish.
- Pat the excess marinade from the tuna.
- With a pastry or barbecue brush, brush the fish with additional olive oil.
- On an outdoor grill or a grill pan over high heat, lightly brush the grates with olive oil (do not place the fish on the grill until the flames have subsided).
- Grill the fish 3 to 5 minutes on both sides for medium rare or 6 to 8 minutes for medium well.
- When slightly cooled, cut into thick slices.
- Meanwhile, mix the lettuce and herbs with the chilled marinade and transfer to a platter.
- Place the fish on top, and drizzle additional marinade over the fish.
- Serve immediately.
Yumm! Perfect for an evening where you want a light, balanced meal. The veggies soaked up the vinaigrette wonderfully.