1/1 Photo of Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing (Dressing)
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Over the years I've developed my own version of cornbread dressing. We like it spicey but you can control the 'heat' by omitting the jalapenos. In a pinch I've even made with a small can of diced mild green chiles. This is a very forgiving dish so feel free to experiment . . . add some corn, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced and seeded poblano pepper
- 2 jalapenos, diced and seeded (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups finely crumbled toasted bread
- 4 cups finely crumbled dried cornbread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried sage (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- 2To a large skillet add butter and melt over medium heat.
- 3Add onions and celery to skillet and cook for approximately 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add polblano and jalapenos and continue cooking until onions are transparent (about two additional minutes).
- 5Combine cooked vegetables, cilantro, bread crumbs, and spices in the large bowl, stir in the beaten eggs and broth and mix well(If still dry,add a little water).
- 6Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and fill with dressing mixture.
- 7Cover and bake for one hour in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- 8Remove cover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, to lightly brown top of dressing.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing (Dressing)
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 894.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: