Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was given to me by a friend and I tweaked it to fit out family's taste. It is very mild, but can be easily spiced up. It freezes well and it can be made in advance and cooked just before serving. It takes two casserole pans to cook it, so I often make one pan for our family and one to give away. This is a very easy recipe to put together. I hope you enjoy!
- 4 -5 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 20 small flour tortillas
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 (3 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Place chicken in a large saucepan and cover with water. Season to taste. (I usually add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, seasoned salt, garlic powder, etc.) Boil chicken until cooked through and tender.
- Remove chicken, saving broth. Shred or chop the chicken into small pieces. I often grind it in my food processor as we like the pieces very small.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add 3 cups cheese and the onions. Add salt to taste. Mix well.
- Place a small amount of chicken mixture onto each tortilla and roll. Place in a casserole dish. Try not to crowd too many into one pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the green chilies and then the flour. (If you want it spicier, you can add some chopped or pickled jalapenos to this mixture.).
- Slowly stir in 4 cups of reserved chicken broth. Cook until the mixture becomes slightly thick, like gravy.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, top with remaining cheese and return to oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
I didn't put my stars in last time.
Wow if I could give this 10 stars I would! I braised the chicken in chicken broth, thyme and old bay seasoning and other than than followed the directions exactly. Thank you for a wonderful recipe!
mmm good easy dish, even my picky kids liked it