The Chicken base recipe can also be used for chimichangas, enchiladas, or Mexican pizza. I mix a large batch and freeze in small quantities so I can whip up a quick meal. The chimichangas are a family favorite - see Chicken Chimichanga posting.
Chicken Base Recipe
- 8 ounces shredded cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use store roasted chicken or 2 half breasts simmered in water until cooked. (Tip, shred chicken wh)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 12 ounces deli style salsa
- chicken base (see above)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 12 ounces shredded low fat Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- jalapeno (optional)
- olive (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- Warm shells in toaster oven or microwave - place aprox 2T of warm chicken mixture in each tortilla.
- top with lettuce and 1oz cheese.
- serve immediately.
I love this chicken base! So easy to make up & even more versatile to use! I used flour tortillas as that's just a family preference, but these tacos were amazing regardless, because of the base. It's got great flavor & that can be varied to suit any family's tastes. Using your favorite salsa. I made one full batch & split it in half. Made one half with one brand of salsa & the other with a different brand. Both were equally good but had different flavor combinations that set them apart. We also made the Chicken Chimichangas (Baked) you have posted. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us, Sharon! Made & enjoyed for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.