1/1 Photo of Slow Cooked Chicken With Tomatillos, Potatoes, Jalapenos and Fre
6 hrs 30 mins
Witch Doctor's Note:
A very savory chicken dish from Mexico using local herbs. The aroma of this dish cooking ever so slowly in the crock pot will tempt you to open the cover and sample!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 4 medium red skin boiling potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (bone in or out, 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup fresh epazote leaves, loosely packed (or 1 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed)
- 1 1/4 lbs medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed and sliced 1/4 inch thick (8 to 12)
- 1/4 cup sliced canned pickled jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno juice
- 1Spread the onion over the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt. Continue with layers of the potato slices, chicken thighs, epazote or cilantro and then Tomatillos. Sprinkling salt evenly over each layer before moving on to the next. Scatter the jalapeno slices over everything, then drizzle on the pickling juice. Cover and slow cook on high for 6 hours.
- 2Carefully transfer a portion of the pollo Pulquero onto each dinner plate. If there is a large amount of juice in the cooker, tip or ladle it into a saucepan, set it over high heat and boil quickly to reduce to a rich consistency. Taste and season with more salt, if needed, then drizzle over each serving. Sprinkle each portion with chopped cilantro.
- 4Pork shoulder and beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes are excellent substitutes for the chicken thighs. If available, use banana leaves and line the slow cooker or Dutch oven before assembling all the parts.
- 5Oven Version:.
- 6Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Layer the dish as described above in a medium large (4 to 6 quarts, 10 to 12 inch diameter) heavy pot, preferably a Dutch oven. Set the lid in place and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer to reduce the juices. Spoon directly from the pot onto plates.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Chicken With Tomatillos, Potatoes, Jalapenos and Fre
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.7
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 268.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: