6 hrs 15 mins
Happy Hippie's Note:
This is a gem of a recipe I found in the April 2008 issue of bon appetit magazine. I haven't tried it yet but will very soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs country-style pork ribs, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces (or pork shoulder)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1/2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, sliced
- fresh cilantro stem, fresh
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- corn tortilla
- tomatillo salsa, roasted (to be posted)
- 1Toss pork in bowl of slow cooker with salt, black pepper, and dried oregano to coat.
- 2Placed onion atop pork.
- 3Cover slow cooker and cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart, about 6 hours.
- 4Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board.
- 5Discard onion pieces.
- 6Using fingers or fork, shred pork.
- 7Transfer carnitas to platter.
- 8Place avocado slices, cilantro sprigs, and sliced red bell pepper, if desired, alongside.
- 9Wrap corn tortillas in damp kitchen towel; microwave until warm, about one minute.
- 10Serve carnitas with warm tortillas and tomatillo salsa.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooked Carnitas Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 639.0
- Calories from Fat 449
- Total Fat 49.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 1298.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 39.8 g