Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a gem of a recipe I found in the April 2008 issue of bon appetit magazine. I haven't tried it yet but will very soon.
- 2 lbs country-style pork ribs, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces (or pork shoulder)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1⁄2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, sliced
- fresh cilantro stem, fresh
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- corn tortilla
- tomatillo salsa, roasted (to be posted)
- Toss pork in bowl of slow cooker with salt, black pepper, and dried oregano to coat.
- Placed onion atop pork.
- Cover slow cooker and cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart, about 6 hours.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board.
- Discard onion pieces.
- Using fingers or fork, shred pork.
- Transfer carnitas to platter.
- Place avocado slices, cilantro sprigs, and sliced red bell pepper, if desired, alongside.
- Wrap corn tortillas in damp kitchen towel; microwave until warm, about one minute.
- Serve carnitas with warm tortillas and tomatillo salsa.