1/3 Photos of Simple Mexican Chili Pie With Garlic
1 hr 5 mins
For Garlic lover's. Not for the weak of heart. This dish can be served with a crisp, green salad. You can adjust the garlic amount to your taste preferences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can mixed beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 small French bread, loaf thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Heat two tablespoons Oil in a large pan. Cook the Onion until it starts to soften, then add the 3 crushed cloves of Garlic and cook for two more minutes.
- 2Stir in the Ground Beef and cook until browned.
- 3Add the spices, cook for an additional minute.
- 4Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in the Stock, Tomatoes, green Pepper, Tomato Paste and Oregano and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Preheat oven to 375.
- 7Transfer the chili to a large gratin or casserole dish.
- 8Heat the remaining three Tablespoons of oil, add the 6 thinly sliced cloves of Garlic and cook slowly to soften.
- 9Remove from the heat, brush the bread slices, front and back with the oil/garlic mixture.
- 10Arrange the treated bread slices on top of the chili.
- 11Scatter the remaining oil/garlic slices and the grated cheese over the top of the bread.
- 12Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Mexican Chili Pie With Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.1
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.3 mg
- Sodium 593.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: