Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Tortilla Soup is so good it tastes complicated, but it's not. It is actually a very easy soup to prepare. My family likes to assemble their own soup. The heart of this soup is a delicious chicken and shrimp base with chopped avocados, cheese and crispy tortilla strips available to top as you like. The kids really like "creating" their own soup with the toppings. I lived in Texas where this is a popular soup, it is a combination of 2 recipes. One recipe came straight from Mexico and one I found in a cookbook.
- 6 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- cooking oil, for saute
- 4 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 -2 avocado (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 5 small corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Brush corn tortillas with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper mixture.
- Cut into strips and place on a cooking sheet.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes until crisp.
- Set aside for soup topping.
- In a large sauce pan saute onion and cumin seed until onion is tender.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes,cilantro and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink@ 3-4 minutes.
- Stir occasionally while shrimp are cooking.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with avocado, cheese, and crisp tortilla strips.