Tortilla Soup is so good it tastes complicated, but it's not. It is actually a very easy soup to prepare. My family likes to assemble their own soup. The heart of this soup is a delicious chicken and shrimp base with chopped avocados, cheese and crispy tortilla strips available to top as you like. The kids really like "creating" their own soup with the toppings. I lived in Texas where this is a popular soup, it is a combination of 2 recipes. One recipe came straight from Mexico and one I found in a cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- cooking oil, for saute
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 -2 avocado (chopped)
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 5 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3Brush corn tortillas with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper mixture.
- 4Cut into strips and place on a cooking sheet.
- 5Bake for 5-8 minutes until crisp.
- 6Set aside for soup topping.
- 7In a large sauce pan saute onion and cumin seed until onion is tender.
- 8Add chicken broth, tomatoes,cilantro and lime juice.
- 9Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- 10Stir in chicken and shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink@ 3-4 minutes.
- 11Stir occasionally while shrimp are cooking.
- 12Ladle into soup bowls and top with avocado, cheese, and crisp tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.8
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 78.0 mg
- Sodium 652.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 22.7 g