1/2 Photos of Sherri's Tex-Mex Potato Soup
I found this recipe in a book my Grandmother gave me, compiled by Ladies Auxiliary of the Medina Lake Volunteer Fire Department, 1986. If you prefer a milder soup and not so spicy, add plain tomatoes not Rotel. The spice amounts are a guideline-adjust to your taste. This recipe is easy to make your own-consider adding kernel corn, bell pepper, celery, hominy, peas, carrots, squash or even cooked chorizo, ground beef, ham, or chicken. Also, try cheddar or monterrey jack cheese. Delicious served with cornbread-try Sherri's Cornbread. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel (tomatoes and chilies)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 quarts water (6 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, divided (optional)
- 1Fry bacon in 2 quart pot until crisp; drain grease.
- 2Add the onions and garlic and saute about 2 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. If desired, add oregano and cumin. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 6Cube cheese and place in bottom of soup bowl and cover with hot soup.
- 7Garnish w/ any or all for a coloful presentation-bacon bits, green onions, diced tomato, jalapeno, grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sherri's Tex-Mex Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.5
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 1084.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g