Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love Mexican food. So here is my rendition of a classic. Salsa Verde con Puerco: a lively mixture of pork tenderloin, tomatillo, chilies and peppers served in a tortilla wrap. Presented along with refried beans and yellow rice it's about as Mexican as it gets. I have to caution, don't touch your face when prepping the chilies and peppers. WASH YOUR HANDS! Oh yeah, don't forget the tequilla!
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 10 tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 small tomato
- 4 poblano peppers
- 3 anaheim chilies
- 2 (6 ounce) cans green chilies
- 2 serrano peppers, 3 if you want hot 4 if you want extra hot
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 6 garlic cloves, more if you wish
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Take the poblano and anaheim peppers and cut the tops off. Then cut in half length wise and de-seed. Brush peppers and garlic cloves with olive oil. Place under a broiler and grill for 10 minutes flipping once in the proccess. Put the peppers and garlic in a paper bag to cool. Once cool, place the garlic to the side then peel the skins off the peppers and chop them up along with the green chilies. Put aside.
- Fix a pan of boiling water and place the tomatillo and tomato in it for 10 minutes. Pour off water and mash well. Remove the skins from the mash and throw away. Put mash aside.
- Take the olive oil to a large saute' pan add the garlic and onion and saute' till onion is clear.
- Add pork salt and ground pepper to the pan. Kick up the heat a bit and brown the pork. Cut the tops off the jalapeno and serrano peppers. Dice and add to pan seeds and all. Continue to saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mash, chopped peppers & chilies, lime juice and cumin. Stir till mixed. Cover and cook 30 minutes over medium/low heat. Remove cover and cook 30 more minutes stirring occasionally till most of the water content has reduced.