Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Salbutes are delicious little snacks which typify Mayan and Yucatecan cooking. They can be made with a variety of toppings, I've listed the most popular ones. Salbutes can also be served as part of a luncheon menu. Before making these, note that the pickled red onions (so famous in Yucatan cooking) do require a standing time of several hours. It's best to make them a day in advance, they keep for about a week in the refrigerator. For a great casual lunch, try serving salbutes with a bowl of bean soup and a fresh fruit salad. It's a popular combination served at the Mayan Beach Garden in Yucatan where this recipe comes from.
- 2 1⁄4 cups masa harina
- 4 tablespoons flour, all purpose
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- corn oil (for frying)
Pickled Red Onions
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded (or lettuce)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- For the Masa:.
- Mix the first four ingredients until they are well blended.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal size balls and press them lightly in a wax paper lined tortilla press.
- They should be smaller and thicker than regular tortillas, about 1/8" thick and 2 1/2 " in diameter.
- In a deep skillet, fry them on both sides in hot oil, they will inflate as they cook.
- Remove each one as it inflates and drain well on paper towels.
- For the Pickled Red Onions:.
- Place onions in a sauce pan, add water to cover, bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Place the onions in a glass container with lime juice, dried oregano and salt and pepper.
- Allow to sit for several hours before serving, they keep for one week refrigerated.
- Assemble Salbutes:.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lime juice with cabbage, salt and peppr to taste.
- Top each salbute with a layer of cabbage, then pickled red onion, then slices of avocado, and top with a tomato slice.
- Serve immediately.