lynnski / LA's Note:
Salbutes are delicious little snacks which typify Mayan and Yucatecan cooking. They can be made with a variety of toppings, I've listed the most popular ones. Salbutes can also be served as part of a luncheon menu. Before making these, note that the pickled red onions (so famous in Yucatan cooking) do require a standing time of several hours. It's best to make them a day in advance, they keep for about a week in the refrigerator. For a great casual lunch, try serving salbutes with a bowl of bean soup and a fresh fruit salad. It's a popular combination served at the Mayan Beach Garden in Yucatan where this recipe comes from.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups masa harina
- 4 tablespoons flour, all purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- corn oil (for frying)
Pickled Red Onions
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1For the Masa:.
- 2Mix the first four ingredients until they are well blended.
- 3Divide the dough into 12 equal size balls and press them lightly in a wax paper lined tortilla press.
- 4They should be smaller and thicker than regular tortillas, about 1/8" thick and 2 1/2 " in diameter.
- 5In a deep skillet, fry them on both sides in hot oil, they will inflate as they cook.
- 6Remove each one as it inflates and drain well on paper towels.
- 7For the Pickled Red Onions:.
- 8Place onions in a sauce pan, add water to cover, bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- 9Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- 10Place the onions in a glass container with lime juice, dried oregano and salt and pepper.
- 11Allow to sit for several hours before serving, they keep for one week refrigerated.
- 12Assemble Salbutes:.
- 13Mix 1 tablespoon of lime juice with cabbage, salt and peppr to taste.
- 14Top each salbute with a layer of cabbage, then pickled red onion, then slices of avocado, and top with a tomato slice.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salbutes, a Yucatecan Tortilla
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.0
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 102.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g