Tender beef is shredded and browned, then folded into warm tortillas along with crisp veggies and your choice of garnish for an upscale taco night! *Prep time does not include 30 minutes cooling.
- 3 lbs beef steaks (flank or other stewing meat)
- beef stock
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 fresh green chilies (such as poblano, seeded and sliced)
- salt and pepper
- flour tortilla, warmed
- tomato, diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- green onion, chopped
- lime wedge
- Place meat in a large pan and cover with beef stock and water. Add the carrot and half the garlic along with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Skim the surface then recover the pan and cook the meat gently for 2 hours, or until very tender (should shred easily with a fork).
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the meat cool in the liquid. When cool enough to handle, remove from the liquid and shred with your fingers and a fork.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the remaining garlic, the onions, and chilies and cook until tender and onions are soft and translucent. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the meat to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until browned and crisp. Transfer to a serving dish. Top with the onion mixture and surround with the tomatoes, cilantro, green onion and lime wedges. Serve with warmed tortillas. Enjoy!