This is an original recipe of my DH's inspired by his former Mexican co-workers when he worked in Gilroy, California (garlic capital of the world!). This recipe will scale 1 to 6 servings; this recipe serves 6, i.e., one relleno per person.
- 2 (4 1/4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, brick
- 6 teaspoons flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 teaspoons water
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup red chili sauce (DH prefers green) or 1⁄4 cup green chili sauce (DH prefers green)
- 4 1⁄4 ounces canned diced green chiles (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- oil (for frying)
- Separate eggs.
- Beat egg whites until very firm.
- In small bowl, mix flour, water, and egg yolks together with a fork or spoon.
- Fold yolk mixture into egg whites (tip: pre-mix some egg white with yolk mixture first -- amount fits in small bowl, fold into egg white bowl).
- Slice brick of Jack cheese into long wedges. Stuff 6 whole chiles with cheese wedges, being careful not to break the chile. Dice and reserve any remaining for sauce.
- Heat oil in large fry pan.
- Spoon batter into the hot oil -- this is the "bed" for a stuffed chile in the next step.
- When batter is cooked enough to support a whole chile, lay a stuffed chile on the "bed". Spoon more batter on top of chile to cover -- this is now a chile relleno.
- Spoon some hot oil over the relleno in order to firm batter (i.e., to cook the top of the chile relleno to make it stable for turning).
- Flip the relleno over and cook until golden.
- Place cooked relleno on large platter and keep warm while you repeat these steps for each stuffed chile.
- Once all the rellenos are done, continue to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- Cook onions in butter in saucepan.
- Add a tablespoon of flour, cooking for a minute or two.
- Add chicken stock and chili sauce and bring to the boil. Add remaining chopped green chilies or optional diced chiles to sauce at this time.
- Pour sauce over rellenos and serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.