1/2 Photos of Ron's Chiles Rellenos
This is an original recipe of my DH's inspired by his former Mexican co-workers when he worked in Gilroy, California (garlic capital of the world!). This recipe will scale 1 to 6 servings; this recipe serves 6, i.e., one relleno per person.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (4 1/4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, brick
- 6 teaspoons flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 teaspoons water
- 1Separate eggs.
- 2Beat egg whites until very firm.
- 3In small bowl, mix flour, water, and egg yolks together with a fork or spoon.
- 4Fold yolk mixture into egg whites (tip: pre-mix some egg white with yolk mixture first -- amount fits in small bowl, fold into egg white bowl).
- 5Slice brick of Jack cheese into long wedges. Stuff 6 whole chiles with cheese wedges, being careful not to break the chile. Dice and reserve any remaining for sauce.
- 6Heat oil in large fry pan.
- 7Spoon batter into the hot oil -- this is the "bed" for a stuffed chile in the next step.
- 8When batter is cooked enough to support a whole chile, lay a stuffed chile on the "bed". Spoon more batter on top of chile to cover -- this is now a chile relleno.
- 9Spoon some hot oil over the relleno in order to firm batter (i.e., to cook the top of the chile relleno to make it stable for turning).
- 10Flip the relleno over and cook until golden.
- 11Place cooked relleno on large platter and keep warm while you repeat these steps for each stuffed chile.
- 12Once all the rellenos are done, continue to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- 14Cook onions in butter in saucepan.
- 15Add a tablespoon of flour, cooking for a minute or two.
- 16Add chicken stock and chili sauce and bring to the boil. Add remaining chopped green chilies or optional diced chiles to sauce at this time.
- 17Pour sauce over rellenos and serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ron's Chiles Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.3
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 291.8 mg
- Sodium 698.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili sauce