1/2 Photos of Ron's Chiles Rellenos
This is an original recipe of my DH's inspired by his former Mexican co-workers when he worked in Gilroy, California (garlic capital of the world!). This recipe will scale 1 to 6 servings; this recipe serves 6, i.e., one relleno per person.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (4 1/4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, brick
- 6 teaspoons flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 teaspoons water
- 1Separate eggs.
- 2Beat egg whites until very firm.
- 3In small bowl, mix flour, water, and egg yolks together with a fork or spoon.
- 4Fold yolk mixture into egg whites (tip: pre-mix some egg white with yolk mixture first -- amount fits in small bowl, fold into egg white bowl).
- 5Slice brick of Jack cheese into long wedges. Stuff 6 whole chiles with cheese wedges, being careful not to break the chile. Dice and reserve any remaining for sauce.
- 6Heat oil in large fry pan.
- 7Spoon batter into the hot oil -- this is the "bed" for a stuffed chile in the next step.
- 8When batter is cooked enough to support a whole chile, lay a stuffed chile on the "bed". Spoon more batter on top of chile to cover -- this is now a chile relleno.
- 9Spoon some hot oil over the relleno in order to firm batter (i.e., to cook the top of the chile relleno to make it stable for turning).
- 10Flip the relleno over and cook until golden.
- 11Place cooked relleno on large platter and keep warm while you repeat these steps for each stuffed chile.
- 12Once all the rellenos are done, continue to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- 14Cook onions in butter in saucepan.
- 15Add a tablespoon of flour, cooking for a minute or two.
- 16Add chicken stock and chili sauce and bring to the boil. Add remaining chopped green chilies or optional diced chiles to sauce at this time.
- 17Pour sauce over rellenos and serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ron's Chiles Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.3
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 291.8 mg
- Sodium 698.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili sauce