Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The red pepper sauce on these chicken enchiladas really makes these stand out. Easily prepared and healthy! If I don't have leftover chicken, I use 3 chicken breasts (about 1.3 lbs). I throw the chicken in the microwave with 1 Tbl. water in a covered glass dish. Micro High 5 minutes, turning once. If more time is needed, I micro 50% power for 2 more minutes. I like to shred the chicken with my fingers, but if I'm in a pinch for time, I just chop it in small dices. Another hint is Azteca tortillas have 2.5 grams of fat--kind of a middle ground for tortillas, not fat free, but not full fat!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Make the sauce: Puree one pepper (discard seeds and stem), cream cheese and salt in blender.
- Stir in picante sauce.
- In another bowl, stir together chicken, the other pepper (diced), green onions and HALF of the above sauce.
- Spoon filling onto tortilla. Roll and place seams side down in baking dish.
- Spoon reserved sauce over tortillas.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Back 30 minutes until hot.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, can put back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve on shredded lettuce. Optional: black slices and sour cream for garnish.
This recipe was genius! My only wish was to have more sauce available since I love love love my enchiladas smothered in sauce. Five stars for a 5 star recipe!