I got this years ago from some students. It is so flavorful! Great for cold winter nights. You can use a whole chicken, or bone-in chicken breasts. I also use a whole package of the dried chilies.
- Put chicken and chunked onion in large stockpot.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil, then simmer until chicken falls apart (2-3 hours).
- Cool; remove skin and bones, and cut or shred chicken. Add back to broth in stockpot.
- Add hominy to stockpot and keep at a low simmer.
- Fill a saucepan with water 1/2 full.
- Remove stems and seeds from dried chilies.
- Add chilies and garlic cloves to saucepan, along with oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Let cool!
- Blend chilies and garlic in blender or food processor until it is all liquid.
- Add blended chilies to chicken in stockpot.
- Stir and boil 10 minutes together.
- Ladle into bowls and top with chopped raw onion, cilantro and fresh squeezed lemon.