1/1 Photo of Red Chicken Posole (Pozole)
3 hrs 30 mins
I got this years ago from some students. It is so flavorful! Great for cold winter nights. You can use a whole chicken, or bone-in chicken breasts. I also use a whole package of the dried chilies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 whole chicken breasts (skinned, if desired)
- 1 onion, cut in large chunks
- 32 ounces white hominy
- 6 -8 dried New Mexico chiles (or as many as you like)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1Put chicken and chunked onion in large stockpot.
- 2Cover with water, bring to a boil, then simmer until chicken falls apart (2-3 hours).
- 3Cool; remove skin and bones, and cut or shred chicken. Add back to broth in stockpot.
- 4Add hominy to stockpot and keep at a low simmer.
- 5Fill a saucepan with water 1/2 full.
- 6Remove stems and seeds from dried chilies.
- 7Add chilies and garlic cloves to saucepan, along with oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Boil for 15 minutes.
- 9Let cool!
- 10Blend chilies and garlic in blender or food processor until it is all liquid.
- 11Add blended chilies to chicken in stockpot.
- 12Stir and boil 10 minutes together.
- 13Ladle into bowls and top with chopped raw onion, cilantro and fresh squeezed lemon.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Chicken Posole (Pozole)
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.1
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 410.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 33.0 g