1/1 Photo of Red and Black Bean Pies (With Polenta)
1 hr 30 mins
Tasty dinner that freezes well. 1 lb of ground beef or turkey can be added if desired but this makes a wonderful meatless meal. Looks really good if you bake individual pies in ramekins but tastes just as good in pie plates as well and is easier to clean so that's how I usually do it. Also since there is only three of us, I bake one pie plate for dinner and freeze the other for another night. Works great! Be careful not to overbake or this dish will dry out!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 bunches scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) package polenta, patted dry
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (more for garnish if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (about 6oz)
- salsa (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2Heat 1 Tbs oil in large saucepan over med. heat.
- 3Add white part of scallions and garlic.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Cook until softened, stirring constatly, 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add beans, tomatoes with juice and 1/2 cup water.
- 7As you bring to a boil, mash about 1/4 of the beans with the back of a spoon against side of pan to release starch.
- 8Reduce to a simmer, cook until mixture has thickend, 10-15 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, brush 8 10-12oz ramekins or custard cups with remaining oil. Or you can use 2 pie plates. Each ramekin serves one, each pie plate serves four.
- 10Slice polenta into 8 rounds and place one in each ramekin. If using pie plates, slice into 16 rounds and place 8 in each pie plate.
- 11Remove bean mixture from heat.
- 12Stir in green part of scallions, silantro and hot suace and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Spoon mixture into ramekins, or spoon over polenta slices in pie plates.
- 14Top with cheese.
- 15At this point, you can freeze the unbaked pies. Let cool completely and cover with foil. Then freeze for up to 3 months.
- 16Bake at 400 15-20 minutes.
- 17Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 18If desired, garnish with cilantro and serve with salsa.
- 19If frozen, no need to thaw before baking: Bake frozen and foil-covered 60-70 minutes if in ramekins and 70-80 minutes if in pie plates.
- 20Remove foil and bake until cheese is golden brown, about 15 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Tex-Mex Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tex-Mex Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red and Black Bean Pies (With Polenta)
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.5
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 263.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 30.0 g