2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
A modern version of Puchero. Even more delicious the second day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 10 ounces white pearl onions (thawed frozen onions)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 ancho chili, stemmed & seeded
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprout, trimmed & washed
- 3 1/4 ounces baby carrots (9 carrots)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 leeks, white parts only, split, washed, and sliced
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage (2 sausages)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- 1/4 cup coarse grain mustard, for dipping
- 1In a large stockpot, over medium-high heat, sauté garlic, chicken, and onions in oil until garlic and onion are soft and chicken is golden brown on all sides (5-10 minutes).
- 2Add the water, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, salt, and chilies; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Decrease heat to low & simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, occasionally skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
- 4Add lemon zest to the broth.
- 5Add all vegetables and simmer for 8 minutes.
- 6Add the chorizo and simmer for 13 more minutes, occasionally skimming the surface of the soup.
- 7Add the parsley.
- 8Ladle into bowls and serve with mustard on the side for dipping the meat and vegetables into.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puchero Moderno (Modern Latin American Chicken Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (958 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.7
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 118.9 mg
- Sodium 2107.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 46.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard