Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 10 mins
A modern version of Puchero. Even more delicious the second day.
Make and share this Puchero Moderno (Modern Latin American Chicken Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 10 ounces white pearl onions (thawed frozen onions)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 ancho chili, stemmed & seeded
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 lb Brussels sprout, trimmed & washed
- 3 1⁄4 ounces baby carrots (9 carrots)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 2 leeks, white parts only, split, washed, and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage (2 sausages)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- 1⁄4 cup coarse grain mustard, for dipping
- In a large stockpot, over medium-high heat, sauté garlic, chicken, and onions in oil until garlic and onion are soft and chicken is golden brown on all sides (5-10 minutes).
- Add the water, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, salt, and chilies; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to low & simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, occasionally skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Add lemon zest to the broth.
- Add all vegetables and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the chorizo and simmer for 13 more minutes, occasionally skimming the surface of the soup.
- Add the parsley.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with mustard on the side for dipping the meat and vegetables into.