Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from the newspaper, and IMO is THE BEST I have found
Make and share this Posole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 cloves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups white hominy, canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 -5 cups pork broth, from cooking pork shoulder
- 1 cup canned diced green chiles
- 2 fresh jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water.
- Stick cloves in 1/2 onion.
- Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic,peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove meat and broth, reserving both.
- Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute.
- Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan.
- Drain and rinse the hominy.
- Stir in the drained and rinsed canned hominy, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock), green chilies and jalapenos (optional).
- Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat and hominy are tender. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth.
- Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.