I got this recipe from the newspaper, and IMO is THE BEST I have found
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups white hominy, canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 -5 cups pork broth, from cooking pork shoulder
- 1 cup canned diced green chiles
- 2 fresh jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water.
- 2Stick cloves in 1/2 onion.
- 3Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic,peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano.
- 4Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 5Remove meat and broth, reserving both.
- 6Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
- 7Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute.
- 8Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan.
- 9Drain and rinse the hominy.
- 10Stir in the drained and rinsed canned hominy, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock), green chilies and jalapenos (optional).
- 11Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat and hominy are tender. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth.
- 12Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posole
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.7
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 120.7 mg
- Sodium 598.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: