1/3 Photos of Pork Carnitas With Green Chiles
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A traditional and popular Southwestern dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- flour tortillas or corn tortilla
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped tomato
- sour cream
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in an ovenproof, heavy, large covered pot over high heat.(If you don't have a large pot that goes from stovetop to oven, simply prepare on stovetop, and then transfer to a covered casserole before baking).
- 3Add half of the pork cubes; sprinkle with half of the salt and half of the black pepper. Cook pork until starting to brown, stirring often. Remove pork.
- 4Repeat with remaining pork cubes, salt and black pepper, adding more oil if necessary.
- 5Drain drippings from pot.
- 6Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same pot over medium heat. Cook onion in hot oil until tender.
- 7Stir in undrained chiles and garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
- 8Return pork to pot. Add chicken broth.
- 9Cover and put in oven to bake for 1 hour.
- 10Serve pork in tortillas topped with Cheddar cheese, tomato and sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Carnitas With Green Chiles
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.1
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 457.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 24.3 g