1/3 Photos of Pork Carnitas With Green Chiles
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A traditional and popular Southwestern dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- flour tortillas or corn tortilla
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped tomato
- sour cream
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in an ovenproof, heavy, large covered pot over high heat.(If you don't have a large pot that goes from stovetop to oven, simply prepare on stovetop, and then transfer to a covered casserole before baking).
- 3Add half of the pork cubes; sprinkle with half of the salt and half of the black pepper. Cook pork until starting to brown, stirring often. Remove pork.
- 4Repeat with remaining pork cubes, salt and black pepper, adding more oil if necessary.
- 5Drain drippings from pot.
- 6Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same pot over medium heat. Cook onion in hot oil until tender.
- 7Stir in undrained chiles and garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
- 8Return pork to pot. Add chicken broth.
- 9Cover and put in oven to bake for 1 hour.
- 10Serve pork in tortillas topped with Cheddar cheese, tomato and sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Carnitas With Green Chiles
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.1
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 457.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 24.3 g