Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fried chicken filled Mexican flour tortillas topped with a melted cheddar cheese and a spicy cream cheese sauce. [Editor's note: this recipe was updated as a result of reviews with the help of Trixyinaz aka Veronica 9/25/2002]
- 12 large flour tortillas
- cooking oil
- 12 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 1 (7 lb) whole chickens, white and dark
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- chicken broth, from boiling the chicken
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh jalapeno, diced
- 1⁄2 ounce chicken broth
- For the Guisado: Fill up large pot with water. Add salt.
- Boil the whole chicken until it is fully cooked and falling off the bones.
- Remove the chicken from pot, let it cool off and then remove the skin and bones.
- Save the chicken broth, but skim the top of it.
- Pick apart the meat, shred it and put aside.
- In a different pot, fill it with enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Chop the green pepper, onion and celery.
- Add your chopped vegetables to the pot and simmer over medium heat until softened, about 30 minutes (you may want to add more broth as it evaporates).
- Crush the tomatoes and add to the cooked vegetables, along with the garlic and pepper.
- Add the cooked chicken and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from stove and drain any excess juice.
- For the cream cheese mixture: Soften cream cheese and place in mixing bowl along with the half and half, jalapeños, and chicken broth.
- Blend evenly and set aside.
- To make the chicken burritos: Place a few spoonfuls of the chicken meat mixture in center of a large soft flour tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla halfway, then fold both ends up (like folding a cloth diaper), and then completing the rolling process.
- If needed, use a toothpick to hold tortilla in place.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat and fry the burritos until golden brown. You may have to fry in batches depending on how many burritos you can fry in your pan.
- Set aside on paper towels and soak up any excess oil (a few minutes).
- Cut each burrito into thirds and place in a baking dish.
- Place one-half ounce of cream cheese mixture, along with a cheddar cheese slice, on top of each burrito.
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Bake until cheese melts, about one minute. Serve with rice and beans.
The Directions need to be more clear and the chicken mixure seems bland...
The recipes was just okay. It would be better if the instructions were more clear. The best part was the cream cheese and jalapenos mixture.
The recipe lacked the flavor my family prefers. It was not spicey enough! I do Love the jalepeno cream cheese mixture...EXCELLENT.I use that for other Mexican food items now too..