1 hr 20 mins
Fried chicken filled Mexican flour tortillas topped with a melted cheddar cheese and a spicy cream cheese sauce. [Editor's note: this recipe was updated as a result of reviews with the help of Trixyinaz aka Veronica 9/25/2002]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 1 (7 lb) whole chickens, white and dark
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- chicken broth, from boiling the chicken
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- 1For the Guisado: Fill up large pot with water. Add salt.
- 2Boil the whole chicken until it is fully cooked and falling off the bones.
- 3Remove the chicken from pot, let it cool off and then remove the skin and bones.
- 4Save the chicken broth, but skim the top of it.
- 5Pick apart the meat, shred it and put aside.
- 6In a different pot, fill it with enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan.
- 7Chop the green pepper, onion and celery.
- 8Add your chopped vegetables to the pot and simmer over medium heat until softened, about 30 minutes (you may want to add more broth as it evaporates).
- 9Crush the tomatoes and add to the cooked vegetables, along with the garlic and pepper.
- 10Add the cooked chicken and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- 11Remove from stove and drain any excess juice.
- 12For the cream cheese mixture: Soften cream cheese and place in mixing bowl along with the half and half, jalapeños, and chicken broth.
- 13Blend evenly and set aside.
- 14To make the chicken burritos: Place a few spoonfuls of the chicken meat mixture in center of a large soft flour tortilla.
- 15Roll the tortilla halfway, then fold both ends up (like folding a cloth diaper), and then completing the rolling process.
- 16If needed, use a toothpick to hold tortilla in place.
- 17In a large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat and fry the burritos until golden brown. You may have to fry in batches depending on how many burritos you can fry in your pan.
- 18Set aside on paper towels and soak up any excess oil (a few minutes).
- 19Cut each burrito into thirds and place in a baking dish.
- 20Place one-half ounce of cream cheese mixture, along with a cheddar cheese slice, on top of each burrito.
- 21Preheat over to 350°F.
- 22Bake until cheese melts, about one minute. Serve with rice and beans.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Fundido
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 992.7
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 199.5 mg
- Sodium 1151.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 48.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper