Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 13 mins
this is an Ancient Mayan recipe I managed to get off of Erika its a pretty tasty meal:) good with mashed potatoes and gravy:) with a small salad and a side of corn:)
- 6 (10 -12 ounce) pork blade steaks, 1/4 -inch thick
- 16 ounces sour orange juice (or 16 ounces regular orange juice with 1/2 cup lime juice)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces achiote paste (see recipe above)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 5 medium purple onions, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces white vinegar
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 habanero pepper, roasted and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Blend all marinade ingredients in blender or food processor. Marinate pork at least 3 hours.
- Bring water to boil in deep saucepan. Add onions and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and place in stainless steel bowl. Toss with vinegar, cilantro, chile, salt and pepper.
- Grill pork steaks on barbecue.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve with Mexican Yellow Rice. Garnish with habanero chile peppers and cilantro.
PS: to the post above - Grill it on an open barbecue for best results!