Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Beans and rice are usually served separately in Mexico, but, occasionally the two are combined in delicious casseroles. This is quick and easy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 1-quart casserole or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, and cheese. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Beat with a fork or wire whisk until well blended. Add to rice mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Place in prepared casserole. Press mixture down gently with the back of a spoon.
- Bake uncovered, 35 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Pretty tasty. Made for a nice, fairly quick meal. I do admit that I used medium grain white rice instead of brown and used only 2 egg whites. The recipe has both 1 and 1 1/2 tsp chili powder listed, so I used the 1 1/2 which worked pretty well. I also added in some chopped pickled jalapeno for extra heat. Overall, good recipe! Thanks for posting!
Delicious! I LOVE brown rice and I've been trying to convert the hubby from white rice. This was delicious. I used Unfried Refried Beans for the beans and omitted the egg whites. Thanks will def make again. Made for ZWT 5:)
Yum! This was very good and easy. My favorite part of a Mexican meal is the rice & beans. I cook lots of brown rice at one time and freeze it in 1 cup bags. Doing that makes this recipe that much easier. Thanks for posting.