1/1 Photo of Penzey's Pizza Tortillas (Quesadillas)
WI Cheesehead's Note:
Just got this in Penzey's fall 2008 catalog. I might suggest using a little more ground pork, like 3/4 lb (I used gr. turkey). I didn't have pizza seasoning, so I used Sharon123's 11 Secret Herbs and Spices( Kfc Copycat). I also added red pepper and sauteed the onions and pepper first. I completely forgot the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and oregano! And it still came out good. Even in the oven, the center of the tortillas were soft and messy, so be careful, and use both hands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2-3/4 ground pork or 1/2-3/4 ground turkey or 1/2-3/4 chopped sausage
- 2 tablespoons pizza seasoning, divided
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 flour tortillas
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Mix the pork and 1 Tbs. pizza seasoning; cook over med-high heat until crispy brown and drain on paper toweling.
- 3Chop the onion, tomatoes and jalapeno peppers; toss with olive oil, vinegar, garlic and oregano and let stand at least 10 minutes for flavor to develop.
- 4To prepare, lay 4 tortillas out on baking sheets (2 per sheet), sprinkle evenly with cooked sausage, then add vegetable mix, top with shredded cheese, and sprinkle on the remaining pizza seasoning.
- 5Don't pile up too much cheese in the center or it won't melt properly.
- 6Top with another tortilla and bake for 5-8 minutes, until the tortillas start to brown. (I went 12 minutes and they weren't browned yet - use your best judgment.).
- 7To do in the microwave: Place 1 finished tortilla in the microwave for 1 minute, on high, until the cheese is buvbbly and melted.
- 8While hot, remove from the pans and slice itno wedges.
- 9Serves 2 if for a meal.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penzey's Pizza Tortillas (Quesadillas)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.6
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 565.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: