Just got this in Penzey's fall 2008 catalog. I might suggest using a little more ground pork, like 3/4 lb (I used gr. turkey). I didn't have pizza seasoning, so I used Sharon123's 11 Secret Herbs and Spices( Kfc Copycat). I also added red pepper and sauteed the onions and pepper first. I completely forgot the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and oregano! And it still came out good. Even in the oven, the center of the tortillas were soft and messy, so be careful, and use both hands.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 ground pork or 1⁄2-3⁄4 ground turkey or 1⁄2-3⁄4 chopped sausage
- 2 tablespoons pizza seasoning, divided
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 flour tortillas
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix the pork and 1 Tbs. pizza seasoning; cook over med-high heat until crispy brown and drain on paper toweling.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes and jalapeno peppers; toss with olive oil, vinegar, garlic and oregano and let stand at least 10 minutes for flavor to develop.
- To prepare, lay 4 tortillas out on baking sheets (2 per sheet), sprinkle evenly with cooked sausage, then add vegetable mix, top with shredded cheese, and sprinkle on the remaining pizza seasoning.
- Don't pile up too much cheese in the center or it won't melt properly.
- Top with another tortilla and bake for 5-8 minutes, until the tortillas start to brown. (I went 12 minutes and they weren't browned yet - use your best judgment.).
- To do in the microwave: Place 1 finished tortilla in the microwave for 1 minute, on high, until the cheese is buvbbly and melted.
- While hot, remove from the pans and slice itno wedges.
- Serves 2 if for a meal.