1/2 Photos of Pasteis De Carne (fried Pastries With Meat Filling)
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
These sound delicious, this is posted by request via email for "Rachel", they sound so good I may try them myself soon. From "Latin American Cooking, A treasury of recipes from the South American countries, Mexico and the Caribbean" Susan Bensusan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 147.89 ml shortening, melted to lukewarm
- 118.29 ml milk, mixed with
- 118.29 ml hot water
- 1To prepare the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- 2Add the melted shortening and warm milk and water.
- 3Mix to a smooth dough and cut into 2 pieces.
- 4To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- 5Add the tomatoes, ground beef and salt.
- 6Simmer for 20 minutes until almost dry.
- 7Remove from the heat.
- 8Add the chopped parsley, egg, cheese and olives and mix well.
- 9To assemble pastries, roll out the pastry on a floured board to 1/8 inch thickness.
- 10Cut 12, 4 inch circles from each piece, 24 circles.
- 11Place 1 tablespoon filling on each circle and moisten around the edge with warm water.
- 12Fold over and seal the edges well.
- 13Deep fry in preheated 375f degree oil for 4 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- 14Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towel.
- 15The pastries are also delicious cold and make good picnic fare.
- 16They may also be made without the ground beef.
- 17Variation to replace ground beef, use finely chopped ham, chopped chicken, or shrimp.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasteis De Carne (fried Pastries With Meat Filling)
Serving Size: 1 (1728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 192.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 6.2 g